Justin Evans – Representative Matters
Justin has experience representing insurers and policyholders on a wide range of insurance matters. He has extensive experience representing insurers on large-scale property losses, coverage matters, and bad-faith claims, as well as advising insurers on cutting-edge legal developments affecting their interests. Justin has, among other things, helped his insurance clients:
- Successfully navigate the uncharted legal landscape regarding whether insurers can depreciate labor costs when determining the replacement cost value for damaged property.
- Successfully navigate disputes involving complex concurrent causation issues in jurisdictions with uncertain and undeveloped law.
- Assess and favorably resolve multimillion-dollar property losses stemming from large-scale natural disasters, including complex losses involving, among other things, business development claims, civil authority issues, proximate cause issues, and contingent business development claims.
Justin has experience with a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including contract actions, products liability claims, and business tort claims. Among other things, Justin has:
- Successfully guided his business-owner client through trial in a bet-the-company products liability action in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of clients who had been sued by their commercial landlord who alleged they had breached leases on multiple healthcare facilities, further alleging the clients were liable both as tenants and personal guarantors.
Justin has experience helping employers and employees alike navigate the employer-employee relationship from hiring through termination. Among other things, Justin has:
- Obtained a favorable trial verdict for employer client who had been sued for race discrimination.
- Helped employer clients create employment handbooks and workplace policies compliant with the full range of state, federal, and municipal employment regulations, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and National Labor Relations Act.
- Successfully enforced non-compete agreements.
- Helped employee clients use litigation to procure compensation for disability and sex discrimination.
- Helped employers navigate the pitfalls of mass layoffs and plant closures posed by the WARN Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act.
- Represented environmental organization in successfully reducing pollution at mining site by entering into settlement agreement that, among other things, resulting in mining company providing money to nearby school districts to improve their energy efficiency.
- Successfully helped a client expunge 27 decades-old criminal convictions preventing her from obtaining gainful employment.